The "Captain's House"


The house — known for good reason as “the Captain’s House” — has a back story that dates to 1780 when it began as a one-story cottage and, reportedly, a welcome respite for sea-weary captains in need of a hot meal, ale and comfortable bed. Positioned directly across from Milton Harbor, that beginning and the original Dutch influence remains firmly in place today, including a section of the original stone front steps, an original door (formerly the home’s front entrance), and a portion of stone steps still visible in the basement that may have led to a lower-level tavern.



An 1820 renovation added distinctive English elements as well as a second floor and more living space, including an upstairs master bedroom. The dining room at the former 1780 entrance, with its original wood beams and wide-plank pine flooring, remains the home’s oldest section.

416 Waverly Ave

Mamaroneck, NY 10543

NY: 914-777-5777

CT: 203-629-1291

  • Facebook App Icon

NY: WC-00337-H87                CT : NHC.0003901                CT: HIC.0573446